Confusion about styling gel

Home Forums Indian Curly Hair Discussion Confusion about styling gel

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Divya 2 years ago.

• Author

Plabita Dey Sarkar
    Participant

I just read the CG method and want to try it out. I do have some reservations about the oiliness of hair once the transition begins, but I’ll still try it. I have C3a style curly hair when I don’t comb it. What I wanted to know are :
    1. Is it absolutely necessary to use the styling gel? I have never used gel and I am a bit apprehensive about it.
    2. I need to wash my hair daily as it gets weird and sticky otherwise. If i follow the CG routine, how many times will I need to wash my hair?
    3. is there any way to combat the initial oily period? I really don’t want oily hair πŸ™
    4. I have a lot of hair fall (a lot of it now is due to stress, but I’ve had this problem since I was like 10-11. I’m 22 now) and my hair growth is very slow. And the hair around my forehead are short and stick out. Which I absolutely hate. I got it from my grandmother. Are there any ways to deal with these two problems?
    I’ve added a photo just for reference. πŸ™‚

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Divya
    Keymaster

Hey Plabita!!

First things first…just wanna say that you look super cuuuutteee!! πŸ˜€ πŸ™‚

It is great that you want to try the CG method. We all have many many manyyy apprehensions before plunging into something new and this surely is a huge change to accept and work around for all us curlies. But I hope you get to fall in love with this method! πŸ™‚

1. Styling Gel – I know it sounds odd and unacceptable to use a gel on your hair at every wash day mainly coz we have never done that. Also, we fear that it might harm our hair by drying it out. But in this method, we use gels which are silicone and alcohol free so that the hair is not sapped out of moisture or suffocated. So I do not see any harm in using silicone and alcohol free styling gels. Here is a list to refer. Also, using styling gel keeps hair more defined and frizz free. Also it reduces the tangles that we get in our hair. So I suggest you do use a styling gel. However, if you really don’t wanna go for a store bought one, you can start by using Homemade Flaxseed gelΒ  (http://curlacious.com/index.php/2016/02/17/how-to-make-flaxseed-gel-at-home/). Personally, I find commercial gels give a little better results for me. Then I also know people who love their flaxseed gel for definition! so..you can give it a try!

2. Washing hair daily sounds a bit too much, don’t you think? Hmm.. there is no standard time or days to wash your hair in this method..or in any method. It all depends on your hair and scalp’s condition. I would suggest to start by shifting to sulfate-free shampoo and do not cowash for now coz your scalp already seems to be producing more oil.

3. The initial oily period actually differs from person to person. It can also happen that your scalp adjusts better once you switch. As I mentioned above, shift to sulfate-free shampoo and not cowashing. Wash your hair really thoroughly by really rubbing and scrubbing your scalp as I have mentioned in this post(Let’s talk about Shampooing: How to shampoo?!!) so that there is no dirt, residue or clogged follicles after wash. The oiliness, if any, settles within few days. You should not be much worried about it…It is really not that bad….

But if you are really worried and want to see if your scalp really goes for a toss or not, may be start this method on a day when you know that next few days are gonna be dull and you might not be in situations where you feel embarrassed of having oily scalp or hair. Like on a Friday evening or Saturday morning on a weekend that you do not have any plans of going out. Also, if you feel hair is getting oily or sticky, just wash it up! There is no ‘rule’ or anything to stop you from washing your hair! πŸ™‚ Follow your own instincts…you are the best judge or your hair and scalp!

4. Regarding Hair growth, I have replied few queries here, all put together you might get a better picture. Oh those baby hair!! I get this totally.. I always thought I got it from my mom!! I have had almost the same experience as you..baby hair around face sticking in all possible directions and they never seem to grow!! These hair were the main reason I resorted to hair straightener and ended up damaging my curls! πŸ™ Anyway…these hair are either newly grown hair or due to breakage of existing hair. From experience I learnt that these were broken pieces…thanks to all the vigorous hair brushing we curlies do to ‘tame’ our hair! After I started CG method, I have seen these hair have reduced and the ones I see now are due to newly grown hair. So…..

A. Stop the vigorous combing or too tight ponytails or braids or clips..anything that would break your hair.
    B. Using a styling gel on well moisturized hair helps in keeping these baby hair down with rest of the hair πŸ™‚

Hope this helps and hope I have answered all your queries. If you have any further doubts, feel free to reach out…also, once you start following this method, please do come back and share your experiences so that it helps other curlies who have same doubts and apprehensions….

Good luck! and keep smiling (you have a gorgeous smile, btw!!)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.