I got this Satin Bonnet back in Feb, 2017. I have been using it on and off. Now I have used it in a lot of scenarios to give a holistic review on its usage.
The one I have is the Evolve Naturally Satin Sunset Bonnet. I got it off amazon. It is basically a sleep cap with satin inner side. All you do is put it on your hair covering all your hair and hit the bed.
Also, scroll down till the end for the outfit “Deets” (as fashion bloggers call it!) 😉
You can buy it here:
Why is a Satin Bonnet used?
If you have read this post on preserving curls, then you know that a satin helps in preserving the hair from frizzing, drying out or breakage.
How to use Satin Bonnet?
I tie my hair in either a loose ponytail or a loose bun on top of my head as mentioned in this post and then put the satin bonnet over it and sleep.
If you don’t want to tie your hair, then you can simply put head upside down, push all hair into the cap and pull the bonnet over your head and done! stand upright…adjust the bonnet and hit the bed!!
The silky satin material is towards the inside and that is what gets in touch with the hair.
- Quality of the satin used on inner side of the bonnet is very good.
- Size is good enough to hold even very thick and long hair.
- Elastic that holds the bonnet at the forehead is really soft yet firm. It doesn’t leave any mark on the forehead and still keeps the bonnet on the head without slipping off while you toss and turn in sleep.
- Satin keeps hair frizz free, doesn’t dry out hair and prevents breakage that happens over cotton pillowcases.
- Very travel friendly. I took it to my Kodakanal trip (You can see my hair pics here) and now this bonnet has become a staple in my travel essentials
- I somehow hate putting on a bonnet at night. I feel very uncomfortable. I NEED to have my hair free. So I prefer having a satin or silk pillowcase for daily use rather than putting hair in bonnet. But then this is totally a personal choice.
- We look super funny after putting it on!! 😀 [As you can see in below pic ;)]
If you can simply excuse the swollen ‘just-woke-up’ face and take a moment to appreciate how the curls are frizz free and super intact!!
This bonnet does what it claims and what it is used for. It preserves the curls overnight. Helps keep them intact, prevents frizz, prevents hair from drying and from getting ruffled. Also, it is a total gem for curlies who travel a lot…comes very handy during travelling. If you are okay with putting on a cap/bonnet and sleep daily then you can go for this. If you don’t like that, then you better go for a satin or silk pillowcase. Curlies who do not have access to satin material (to stitch the pillowcases) or find the silk ones too costly, can totally go for this bonnet instead!! I personally use it in addition to my satin pillowcase and cloth and mainly only when I travel.
Outfit Deets:(As mentioned above..LOL!)
Satin Scrunchie: Local supermarket
T-shirt: Bro’s wardrobe
Shorts (not seen in the pic): Bro’s wardrobe
Background: A part of Bro’s wardrobe 😉
Place: Bro’s House
**Pics are from Feb2017…just in case you were wondering!!